September 6 [1620]. These troubles being blown over, and now all being compact together in one ship, they put to sea again with a prosperous wind, which continued divers days together, which was some encouragement unto them; yet, according to the usual manner, many were afflicted with seasickness. And I may not omit here a special work of God’s providence. There was a proud and very profane young man, one of the seamen, of a lusty, able body, which made him the more haughty; he would always be contemning the poor people in their sickness and cursing them daily with grievous execrations; and did not let to tell them that he hoped to help to cast half of them overboard before they came to their journey’s end, and to make merry with what they had; and if he Were by any gently reproved, he would curse and swear most bitterly. But it pleased God before they came half seas over, to smite this young man with a grievous disease, of which he died in a desperate manner, and so was himself the first that was thrown overboard. Thus his curses light on his own head, and it was an astonishment to all his fellows for they noted it to be the just hand of God upon him.
William Bradford "Of Plymouth Plantation".
n.a. 3/22/2008 {http://spider.georgetowncollege.edu/english/coke/bradford.htm}
Reflection:
I choose this paragraph because I like how the deck hand got his just desserts if you will. But that’s not the only reason. It shows the hash conditions the people faced on there travels over to the "new world". They where not joking you could easily die on your voyage over here. The story itself shows the financial condition of the people coming over it dose this when he is talking about the ship itself and how it’s ready to fall apart. These people still throw them self’s onto this ship however and put there lives in the hands of god.
Journal:
John September 7 1620
The conditions are harsh and the sea air hard on my face. I still wonder to myself is this worth the risk will this ship really hold and will my body be able to survive? I’ve spent my whole life working at the port. I am not a wealthy man but I have seen my fair share of things. Like that young man last year whom I had witnessed sircum to the disease of scurvy. I told him he should have eaten his lemons. But for sure if I had stayed in London nay longer they would have had my head for not following the Catholic way. It has only been one day since I left port and I see people falling ill. I do wonder if they have realized that there is one head to many aboard. If so they would have all ready throw me over board. If I do not last this journey god I know it be your will. So let me just repent for my sin of lying to these people and let me repent by helping to craft this new land for you in your name I prey amen.
How has the lure of the American Dream influenced community life for the native culture, the dominating immigrant culture and the minority slave culture?
The lure of the American Dream has caused the people to flee the power of the chatholic Chruch so that they may prey in there own way. But it causes the people of england coming over to opresses all others in the quest for the American dream.

4 comments:
Dalton, your diary entry perplexed me as it incoorperated a variety of different emotions. I enjoyed reading your self-reflection and diary enter as they both disected the true meaning of, "Plymouth Plantation". Within your post I did find many grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. Overall, I must say that you captivated my attention with your work and I truly enjoyed reading your response as it was closely similar to mine.
Dalton where are your other posts?I do not know where any of your essential questions or other puritan responses are. I would appreciate it if you would add your posts later so that I will be able to comment to your work. You are also missing the revolutionary period speakers.
Dalton, I enjoyed reading your diary entry because of the emotions that were present. You truly captivated my attention throughout the diary. However I would advise you to fix your self-reflection because it contains spelling and grammatical mistakes. I was curious of where your essential answer is and where is the remaining work for the entire blogspot. I will comment when you have published your work. I appreciate.
I was surprisingly, impressed with your diary entries and reflections; however, there are several grammar and spelling errors throughout it. With a little revising it could potentially be a very well done project.
-Whit
Post a Comment